This Privacy Notice explains how HMGCC (the Data Controller) collects, stores and uses your personal information in accordance with data protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection Act 2018.
What data we process and why
We collect personal information provided directly from you in the following ways, when you:
- Visit our website;
- Apply for a job;
- Deal with us as a representative of an organisation that has a business relationship with us;
- Visit our premises;
- Have entered into a contract with us to supply goods and services;
- Have contacted us with a general enquiry or complaint.
Our legal basis for processing personal data
We only use your personal information when the law allows us, such as:
- Where processing is necessary to perform a contract or take steps at your request, before entering a contract;
- To comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject;
- For the purposes of the legitimate interest pursued by us, for example, to ensure the safety and security of our estate.
- Where you have consented to us using your personal data.
Visitors to our website
When you visit www.hmgcc.gov.uk we collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to track web traffic to our site and collect this information in a way which does not identify anyone.
If we do collect personal data through our website, we will be transparent about this and alert you via an information notice at the point of collection. For example, we may run online challenges and quizzes that will require you to register online to participate. Unless otherwise stated you are consenting to us holding your personal information for 12 months.
We retain personal information for only as long as it is necessary for us to do so for the purpose for which is it being processed.
Sharing your personal data
As the data controller we use third parties to provide services for us: they are known as data processors. We ensure we only use data processors who comply with the data protection legislation and they can process personal data for us only as we have instructed them to do. They will hold it securely and retain it for the period we instruct. We will not share your information with any third parties for the purposes of direct marketing.
Your data protection rights
Under the Data Protection Act, you have certain rights over your personal data. These are:
- Right of access - You have the right to ask us to see copies of your personal information.
- Right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify information which you think is inaccurate.
- Right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances
- Right to object to processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstance
- Right to object to automated decision making – You have the right to object to any decisions which have affected them significantly, if you consider these decisions have been made without meaningful human input.
HMGCC is the controller for the personal information we process, unless otherwise stated.
If you wish to contact us about any aspect of data protection, please use our dedicated email address: DataProtection@hmgcc.gov.uk or write to us at:
You also have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK regulator of compliance with the data protection legislation. Their address is:
The Office of the Information Commissioner
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113